An exceptional Georgian country house with wonderful gardens and grounds in a parkland setting
- Download Brochure
Bracon Lodge is an exceptional Grade II Listed Georgian country house dating back to the late 17th Century. In 1765 the original house was purchased by John Corbould, one of the City Fathers of Norwich, and a partner of the firm Corbould & Willmot. He enlarged Bracon Lodge in 1798 and also built the serpentine garden wall. The house then passed to his son, the Reverend John Corbould who was a curate to Parson Woodford at Weston Longville in 1795 before becoming Rector of Bawdeswell. When the Reverend John Corbould died in July 1810 his Trustees sold Bracon Lodge to the Reverend Thomas Berney.
Bracon Lodge is a well-appointed country house being built in part of local Gault brick under a pantile roof, standing in a commanding position overlooking the superb parkland. The house is mentioned in Sir Nikolaus Pevsners The Buildings of England as being of architectural and historic importance and of particular note is the charming segmental porch supported on two Roman Doric columns and two engaged columns. Also mentioned is the superb crinkle crankle wall in the garden which is one of the finest of its kind in the region. The house has some superb interiors including an elegant Georgian stick baluster staircase and charming fireplaces and sash windows with working shutters throughout much of the house. Bracon Lodge has superb ceiling heights with many of the rooms having picture rails and cornicing and also has a full set of working servants bells. During the current owners tenure an extensive programme of sympathetic renovation and refurbishment has taken place. This has resulted in the house being completely rewired, re-plumbed and a new private water supply being installed. Much of the ground floor has new flooring and the house has been made suitable for modern living, whilst retaining the charm and elegance of the original house. There are wonderful views from the principal rooms over the surrounding gardens and grounds, and of particular note is the southerly view from the sitting room via the French doors looking over the spectacular gardens. A fabulous new kitchen breakfast room has been created with granite work surfaces and an electric Aga. Adjacent to this is a north facing larder and a china room both of which have full storage height. Along this easterly wing there is also a completely refurbished utility room and the pool room which has a changing room with shower along with two sets of French doors which open out on to the swimming pool area.
Both the drawing and dining rooms have excellent dimensions and a dual aspect with sash windows and working shutters. There are marble fireplaces and hearths and both rooms emanate from the generous reception hall. The sitting room has a slightly less formal feel and has a wood burning stove. The family room and study complete the ground floor which flows extremely well.
The current owners have created a fantastic principal bedroom suite with a substantial en-suite bathroom which has been finished to a high standard. Adjacent to this is the dressing room which has full height bespoke wardrobes. The impressive guest bedroom suite offers flexibility with the dressing room offering the potential of being used as a nursery. The third bedroom on this floor is also large, and has built in wardrobes and superb views.
On the second floor there are three further bedrooms and a bathroom, with one of the bedrooms currently being used as a large studio. From all of the bedrooms there are wonderful long views over the parkland and grounds.
This property has 23 acres of land.
Bracon Lodge is approached by a long recently tarmacked driveway which leads to the front of the house with a gravelled drive and central turning circle. The drive continues to the side and rear of the house which gives access to the garaging, stabling and outbuildings. Attached to the east wing of the house is the former coach house which could be used as a garage and contains the recently installed private water supply equipment. The traditional outbuildings are accessed via a charming courtyard and consist of a gym, workshop and an old range of stables with the original 3 stalls along with storage rooms, a wood store, bike store and potting shed. To the east of these buildings is a large L-shaped stable block which comprises 8 loose boxes along with hay store and tack room. The stables have a covered area and water and power, as do the majority of the gardens, grounds and buildings throughout Bracon Lodge.
The gardens and grounds are a major feature of Bracon Lodge and are of exceptional quality. Of particular note is the listed crinkle crankle wall and the spectacular herbaceous borders, two parterres, the rose arch with wisteria and the kitchen garden which has a highly productive fruit cage, greenhouse, orchard and chicken house with run. The garden is divided by traditional walls and hedges with a number of delightful secluded outdoor seating areas in the various sections of the garden. At the front of the house is a substantial area laid to lawn and a ha ha which then leads to the parkland which is currently mown as lawn, interspersed with some exceptional trees, many of which are mature oak trees and other fine stands of woodland. The tennis court is situated away from the house and is surrounded by trees and hedging giving it shelter, it also has its own pavilion. There is also an orchard with a wide variety of fruit trees, a superb mature Mulberry Tree and a wonderful array of Laburnums at the front of the house which are spectacular when in bloom.
East of the house is a further expanse of lawn which gives access to the lake where there is a recently constructed area of decking with a wooden jetty leading to the water which is understood to contain some historic and extremely ancient Common, Leather and Mirror carp. The wildlife at Bracon Lodge is also of note, with a wide variety of bird life including Barn and Little Owls, Red Kites, Green and Spotted Woodpeckers, Night Jars and Kingfishers to name but a few.
Bracon Lodge is situated on the edge of Bracon Ash close to the village of Mulbarton, about 6 miles south of the fine city of Norwich. It is well placed for access to both the A47 and A11. The historic Cathedral city of Norwich is renowned for its high quality shopping and cultural facilities and offers a wide range of schools both in the private and state sectors and is home to the University of East Anglia. There are regular rail services from both Norwich and Diss to London Liverpool Street, and from Wymondham to Cambridge. There are excellent facilities in Mulbarton including a small supermarket, doctors surgery and a popular public house. Bracon Lodge is also well-situated to take advantage of the recently improved road network and the northern distributor route which will give access to the airport and to north Norfolk and the coast with all the leisure pursuits it has to offer. The Norfolk Broads National Park is to the north-east and also offers a comprehensive range of leisure facilities.
From Norwich head South on the A140 Ipswich Road turning right on to the B1113 New Buckenham Road. Follow this road for about 4 miles passing the common at Mulbarton and turn left at the roundabout. The entrance to Bracon Lodge will be found after 400 yards on the right hand side beside the gate lodge.Read all
You may also like
Chandler Road, Stoke Holy Cross, Norwich
Colney Lane, Cringleford, Norwich