- 6 bedrooms
- 2 bathrooms
- 4 receptions
A handsome Grade II Listed house with beautiful mature walled gardens and a paddock
Sitting within the heart of the village Broughton, The Gables is a handsome Grade II Listed house built of square coursed ironstone with limestone dressings with a Welsh slate roof. The house has a significant history having been built in 1620 by Ellis Else, but with earlier roof timbers from an Elizabethan Hall of circa 1580. In the late 1800s it was the residence Lord Overstone, one of the nations richest men. He was an authority on banking and finance in London, as well as a Whig MP, and one of the leading promoters of Londons Great Exhibition of 1851
An attractive, centrally positioned, crenelated mid-19th century porch with Tudor arched front door opens onto a lovely stone flagged hall which is dominated by a stunning early 19th century oak staircase which rises to a galleried first floor landing beneath a striking coved ceiling with gothic plasterwork. Arranged off the hall are a drawing room with a solid fuel fire, alcoves and original shutters, and beautiful dining room with full height French-doors within a bay window opening onto the garden. Both rooms are generously proportioned with period fireplaces and the dining room has solid wood flooring. Beneath the stairs is a cloakroom and, adjacent, the access to the cellar which has two chambers. A passage connects the hall, passing via a study, to the breakfast kitchen which has red quarry tiles, bespoke units with quartz worktops, a Rangemaster range, a double Belfast sink and a breakfast area. A secondary staircase rises to the first floor.
Beyond the kitchen, and within a more recent extension to the house, a corridor leads to a large family room with parquet flooring, a wood-burning stove and bank of French doors which open to the gardens sunken terrace. Beyond this is a gym and the remainder of the extension houses a laundry/shower room and a cloakroom. At the end of the corridor is a side door, enabling easy access to the kitchen, and a door leading to the oversized double garage which also houses the pump for the private well that services the garden and paddock trough. The separate outside door and ability to separate this new extension from the remainder of the house would make it an ideal annexe.
Upstairs, the galleried landing provides access to the principal bedroom, with his and her dressing rooms and an en suite bathroom. A landing corridor serves four more double bedrooms, all with solid wood floors and period fireplaces, as well as a family bathroom and a separate WC. The secondary staircase descends to the kitchen, whilst a separate staircase rises to the second floor and a further bedroom.
The mature formal gardens lie to the south and east of the wisteria clad house, accessed from the reception hallway, dining or living rooms. The gardens incorporate a sunken paved terrace and sweeping formal lawns, through which gravelled and brick pathways lead past rose and shrub beds and cedar and deciduous tree species. Internal walls section the lawns from a parterre, herb, rose and kitchen garden, as well as a privet maze. A high garden wall adorned with climbing fruits ensures privacy from the village, over which there are attractive views from most parts of the garden to St Andrews Parish Church.
The level, post-and-rail fenced paddock adjoins the garden, with deciduous and willow species trees, water and a concrete pad for a consented stable block, whilst there is gated access to the driveway.
Broughton is a well serviced village with an attractive period core, just south of the A14 and Kettering, from which there are mainline rail services to London St Pancras International. The village has a co-operative mini market, Library, village shop, takeaways and a public house, together with a primary school and various sports clubs. For more extensive shopping and dining there is the newly opened Rushden Lakes shopping centre.
Local schooling is exceptional with a primary school within the village, preparatory schools at Spratton Hall and Maidwell Hall, private schooling at Northampton High School, Northampton Grammar School and Wellingborough School as well as the public schools of Oakham, Uppingham, Rugby, Oundle and Stamford, all of which are within easy reach.
Communication links are also exceptional with easy access to the A14, which links directly to the Midlands motorway network, including the M1, M6 and A1, and high speed rail services from Kettering to London St Pancras International.
From the A14 at Kettering take the A43 south, signposted to Northampton. After about 2 miles turn left at the roundabout into Broughton. Continue through the village, turning right onto Church Street, signed to the Village Hall. The Gables is located on your right hand side, just prior to St Andrews Church. The postcode is NN14 1LU.
This property has 1.86 acres of land.
- Kitchen Breakfast Room
- Drawing Room
- Dining Room
- Family Room
- 7 Bedrooms
- Double Garage
- Walled Garden
- 1.86 acres