- 7 bedrooms
- 7 bathrooms
- 6 receptions
A magnificent restored Grade II* Listed Manor House set in 16.95 acres
35 Cadogan Street
Wyld Court has been sympathetically and extensively restored over the last few years to its former glory with many contemporary additions; yet retains a wealth of period features including Tudor panelling, flagstone floors, mullioned windows, oak doors and exposed beams.
The accommodation on the ground floor comprises of an entrance porch leading into the Great Hall now used for formal dining; with flagstone flooring, a large stone fireplace & wood panelling; inner hall; the former Victorian ballroom, excellent for entertaining, with access to a paved terrace and the pool area, views over the countryside and a fireplace; panelled drawing room with stone fireplace, carved overmantle & wood burning stove; leading into a further panelled sitting room, again with a wood burning stove & impressive carved overmantle; a butlers pantry with an original medieval window ; kitchen and prep kitchen, both with wooden fitted units, granite work surfaces and integrated appliances, a large Aga and a Rangemaster cooker; a bright summer sitting/dining garden room with doors out into the garden; study; cloakroom and a utility room with fitted units.
Upstairs is a galleried landing leading to the seven bedrooms, all with en-suite bath or shower rooms. The dual aspect master bedroom has great views over the surrounding countryside, a large dressing room and an ensuite bathroom with a walk in rain shower. The dual aspect Kings bedroom makes an ideal guest suite with an adjacent sitting room both with fireplaces, the former with impressive carved overmantle incorporating coats of arms and dated 1671. It is serviced by the large bathroom with slipper bath and can also be accessed by its own staircase leading to & from the ground floor. A further five double bedrooms all have ensuites, four with showers and one with a large bathroom.
Wyld Court is mainly an Elizabethan manor house, dated 1593. Prior to the dissolution of the Monasteries by King Henry VIII in 1553 the late medieval property of about 1150 belonged to Cerne Abbas and parts of the house date from this period; it still features an original medieval timber window.
It is known that following his defeat at the battle of Worcester in 1651, King Charles II fled to Dorset (at that time Hawkchurch was in Dorset) planning to travel by boat to France. It is said that he spent a night at Wyld Court and that the western wing was pulled down by the Roundheads in an attempt to find him. The bedroom he is reputed to have stayed in is still known as the Kings Bedroom.
There is a later stone Victorian extension, built around 1880, which may have involved a young Thomas Hardy, who was an apprentice architect in the area before his literary career.
This property has 16.95 acres of land.
The former detached Elizabethan kitchen and bakery for the manor has been renovated and could provide additional accommodation to the house. It comprises of a games or sitting room with an inglenook fireplace and original bread oven, exposed stone walls and beams, a further room with kitchen area, leading to another room incorporating a bath and shower room. French doors lead on to a terrace and the garden.
Wyld Court benefits from a large number of attractive outbuildings, a former dairy, forge, a coach and carriage house and several stables, all stone built. These could be reinstated for equestrian or agricultural use but have planning permissions in place for 6 holiday let cottages. There is a separate track for access to the outbuildings and a parking area. None of these buildings or areas overlook the main house. Further details regarding the planning permissions can be obtained from the vendors agent.
Wyld Courts main entrance to is through impressive wrought iron gates along a private drive to a gravelled parking and turning area with a 4 bay open fronted parking & storage stone barn. To the rear of the house is a productive herb and vegetable garden, greenhouse, stone garden sheds and a pergola covered in vines.
The house is surrounded by its own land and has beautiful gardens, including an intriguing & beautiful secret walled garden with an ancient Mulberry tree, varied & fascinating topiary in the shape of birds and part of a chess set; a discreetly positioned heated outdoor swimming pool and a large level area of lawn to the front of the house and to the side, making an ideal croquet lawn. On a further higher terraced area to the front is a huge area of lawn approached by stone steps leading to a fountain. There are various pedestrian gates which provide access to the fields. Leading from Wyld Court is an enchanting avenue of lime trees, (Lime Walk), leading to the village & its Grade I Listed Norman church with Tudor pub opposite, village hall, village shop & community tennis court.
Wyld Court is located in a private setting on the edge of the pretty village of Hawkchurch. The surrounding Dorset/Devon countryside is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and is bordered by the stunning Jurassic coastline. For those enjoying walking, cycling and outdoor country and equestrian pursuits the countryside and coastline provide superb recreational opportunities.
The village of Hawkchurch with its pretty Grade 1 listed Norman church, is an active community with a primary school, village store and a popular pub. There are also a number of farm shops selling local produce in the vicinity.
Axminster, with its mainline station, weekly farmers market and large supermarket is approximately 4 miles away, and the town provides a wide range of amenities including further primary schools and the renowned River Cottage restaurant and cookery school HQ nearby. The delightful coastal towns and villages of Bridport/West Bay, Lyme Regis and also Sidmouth, Beer and Branscombe are all within easy reach, and Lyme Regis, with its magnetic Cobb harbour, providing a good range of educational, recreational and shopping facilities, including, hotels, inns, restaurants, including the renowned Hix Oyster and Fish House, museums, art galleries, cinema and theatre.
Bridport and Honiton provide a greater range of shopping with many individual retailers while Taunton and Exeter have major shopping centres with most of the High Street brands available, all have the added feature of weekly farmers markets. The Cathedral City of Exeter, at approximately 32 miles away, also offers a wide choice of cultural activities with the theatre, the museum, arts centre and a wealth of good shopping and restaurants.
There are excellent schools for boys and girls of all ages including, Chard Independent Preparatory School, just 6 miles and the much acclaimed Colyton Grammar School at just over 10 miles away. Lyme Regis The Woodroffe School. Other well-known schools in the area include, Taunton School, Kings College, Queens College and Kings Hall, Millfield, Wellington and Blundells School, all within driving distance. Other schooling can be found in West Dorset including Sherborne boys & girls Schools, whilst Exeter University is recognised as one of the best in the country.
Communication links are excellent with the A303 providing links to London, the A30 to the A38 for Plymouth to the south or the M5 for Bristol and London to the North and East and the A35 lying some 2 miles away. There are hourly direct rail services from Axminster to London and Exeter. The latter with its International Airport offers an ever increasing number of domestic and international flights, including 2 flights a day to London City Airport. A more extensive range of international flights is available from Bristol Airport 50 miles away.
Travelling on the A303 at the western end of the Ilminster bypass, take the exit sign posted for Chard and Axminster and continue through Chard. In Tytherleigh turn left just after the Tytherleigh Arms public house sign posted for Hawkchurch and follow into the village. Just after the village sign, pass a thatched cottage and turn left immediately afterwards. The entrance and pillared gates for Wyld Court is found directly in front of you.
Alternatively, from the A35 take the B3165 towards Crewkerne at the junction at Raymonds Hill; after approximately 1 mile, turn left towards Hawkchurch and again turn left at the junction signposted Hawkchurch; driving through the village, fork right at the war memorial and then after 300 metres take the first turning on the right which leads into the drive for Wyld Court.
- Entrance hall
- 6 reception rooms
- 7 bedrooms
- 7 bathrooms
- Off street parking
- Swimming Pool
- In all about 7,853 SqFt.