A superb country house of excellent proportions, set in wonderful landscaped grounds.
- Download Brochure
Originally the site of a manor house dating back to medieval times, the owner of Staunton Park in the 19th Century demolished the existing building in 1843 and commissioned John Gray to design an altogether grander and more impressive new mansion. In 1921, a great part of this mansion was demolished and the property which currently stands was erected in 1927. The appearance of Staunton Park is still largely Victorian, even with the later addition. The property was renovated by the previous owners, and then improved further by the current custodians. It now offers a substantial and impressive country house and grounds, set in beautiful Herefordshire countryside. Everything is as one would expect from a property of such stature. The interior is marked by high ceilings, wide doorways and large sash windows all of which add to a feeling of space and natural light. A generous hall tempts one into the house, off which are the main reception rooms. The drawing and sitting rooms offer light and inviting reception space with full length sash windows framing views to the garden and beyond whilst flooding the rooms with light. Further reception space includes the more informal study and snug. An orangery is an excellent addition, making the most of the grounds with access to the patio and vistas of landscaped gardens falling away down to the lake. The dining room is a lovely, light room for entertaining. The adjacent kitchen/breakfast room is of good size and offers bespoke built-in units and integrated appliances. A four oven Aga takes center stage, with additional range cooker for summer months. There is plenty of storage available in the pantry which incorporates two spacious rooms, and useful utility. To this area in the house there is study/telephone room leading to the rear porch and a large cellar with good head height. There is also a studio, a cloakroom as well as an original Victorian loo. Accommodation to the first floor is equally spacious and bright, with most rooms enjoying views of the grounds and countryside. There are 8 bedrooms, 2 dressing rooms and 4 bathrooms but choice on how these bedrooms are used is down to the individual.
Services: Mains water, mains electricity, private drainage to septic tank, oil-fired central heating. Council tax: Staunton Park Band H; The Lodge Band C. Local authority: Herefordshire Council. Telephone: 01432 260000.
This property has 13.6 acres of land.
landscaped between 1842 and 1884 and originally formed part of the pleasure grounds of the large estate at that time. They have retained their general appearance for over 100 years. Previous owners participated in the National Gardens Scheme which gives an idea of how well these grounds have been tended over the years, the current owners no exception. The tree planting of previous owners has left a fine legacy of mature trees along the drive and around two sides of the lake. More formal gardens are found at the rear and side of the house. The property is approached down a driveway lined with huge Wellingtonias which were planted towards the end of the previous century and now dominate the entrance. Immaculate lawns immediately surround the house with attractive herbaceous and flowering borders bursting with colour. Behind the impressive yew hedge and formerly a herb garden, the rose garden is a wonderful burst of colour in the spring. Surrounded by a stone wall, the kitchen garden has a large area for a variety of fruit and vegetables. A woodland walk meanders past the secret Victorian garden round to the lake and continues past the 18th Century dove-cot and back to the house. The formal gardens are bordered by farmland and an area of woodland filled with beech trees and rhododendrons. The Coach House and Stable Block Arranged around a cobbled courtyard to the rear of the property the former coach house and stable block are used by the present owners as general storage, although offer potential for conversion to holiday lets or staff accommodation subject to the relevant planning consents. There is a gardeners loo, a large workshop and store. To the opposite side of the courtyard is a 5 bay car port.
The Lodge Located at the entrance to Staunton Park, the lodge is believed to date back to 1911 and comprises sitting room, study, bedroom and shower room. The kitchen has a good range of base and wall mounted units with integrated fridge and there is a utility/boot room with freezer and washing machine built-in. The Lodge has its own garden which is laid to lawn as well as a gravelled parking area to the rear of the property. The Lodge has been attractively and tastefully decorated throughout with great attention to detail. This is currently let out on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.
Herefordshire, surrounded by a verdant landscape of rolling hills, woodland, orchards and farmland yet extremely accessible. Situated on the edge of the charming village of Staunton on Arrow with the larger villages of Shobdon and Pembridge which offer local facilities such as pubs and village stores. The eclectic market towns of Leominster and Kington are close by with a range of independent shops and a little further afield; historic Ludlow, full of interesting architecture, cafes, delis and restaurants. The thriving Cathedral city of Hereford provides all the amenities one would expect, and a direct train to London in under 3 hrs. Communications in the area are excellent with the A44 linking Leominster to Worcester and the M5, and direct trains daily from Leominster which is on the main line Cardiff to Manchester. Additionally, there is an international airport at Birmingham and Bristol airport is approximately 75 miles away. There are a good variety of both primary and secondary independent schools on offer in the surrounding area.
From the Ludlow office, head south over Ludford Bridge and continue before turning right on the B4361 signposted Richards Castle and Presteigne. Follow this road through the villages of Orleton, Bircher and Lucton and at Mortimers Cross continue straight over towards Shobdon and Presteigne on the B4362. In Shobdon, bear left signed Kington and Presteigne and continue to the T junction, taking the right hand turn to Titley. After a short distance you will see a red phone box on the right hand side and Staunton Park is located about 150 yards further on the left hand side.Read all
- Drawing room
- Sitting room
- Dining room
- Kitchen/breakfast room with adjacent pantry and utility
- 8 Bedrooms, 2 dressing rooms and 4 bathrooms
- 5 Bay car port
- Workshop and various stores
- Coach house and stable block
- Landscaped gardens and lake
- Countryside views
- Staunton Park Lodge: Detached two-bedroom property currently let out on AST
- In all 13.6 acres