Virtual Viewing available - A sleeping beauty ...
- Download Brochure
Set back from a quiet country lane and beautifully screened by a belt of mature woodland, Ripple Court is one of the most important houses in East Kent.
Dating from 1796 and built on the site of the original 16th century Ripple Court, the house was originally constructed for Colonel John Sladen, reputedly by the renowned architect Sir John Soane. Unusually for this part of Kent the house is built of white brick with ashlar and Coade stone dressings. The front façade is characterised with a central pedimented doorcase with pedimented tall and elegant windows on either side. The hallmark of Georgian architecture at its best.
The return elevation is similarly impressive with a demi-lune canopy on decorative metal pilasters. To the rear of the house additions were made in 1887 by the pioneering Scottish Arts & Crafts architect, James M MacLaren, who incorporated secondary accommodation, garaging and an octagonal tower with domed roof.
Inside, Ripple Court offers all that one would expect from a fine country house. The hall gives an immediate impression of elegance and style. A beautiful cantilevered staircase rises to the first floor; unusually there is also a lift to the first floor.
The drawing room is elegantly proportioned and flooded with light, with three tall windows overlooking the garden. The dining room has beautifully moulded plaster cornicing and twin aspects it is a superb room for formal entertaining or a family get together. A second sitting room to the front of the house has a semi-circular bay with windows opening out under the canopy to the terrace. The ground floor accommodation is completed with a kitchen, breakfast room and further domestic offices.
There is extensive cellarage. A good range of store rooms, a wine cellar and a snooker room make this space a really useful addition to the accommodation.
The first floor has three principal bedrooms, all with en suite bathrooms; there is also a day room/nursery on this floor. The staircase continues to the second floor landing, which is lit by a glazed cupola. Here there are four further generous bedrooms and two bathrooms.
A passageway from the first floor leads to a self-contained flat comprising a sitting room, kitchen, three bedrooms and two bathrooms.
THE OLD FARM HOUSE Approached by a secondary drive is The Old Farm House. Listed Grade II and dating from 1647, the property comprises two reception rooms, a kitchen, four bedrooms and two bathrooms.
OUTBUILDINGS The estate is well served with a range of outbuildings. There are two sets of buildings, one immediately behind the house and the other arranged around a courtyard to the rear.
The courtyard is dominated by a Grade II Listed Kentish barn. At nearly 130 long, the barn has nine aisles and has the feeling of a magnificent old cathedral. A preliminary report has been produced on the viability of conversion and development of the buildings, and this is available from the agents on request.
At right angles to the barn is an open fronted byre and facing the barn is the former milking parlour, another generous building. Beyond are a pair of brick buildings, a stable block and storerooms respectively.
The buildings behind the house include extensive garaging, stables and a former bake house.
This property has 8.6 acres of land.
The gardens are a magnificent setting for this important house.
The estate is screened on three sides by a mature shelter belt of woodland, giving high levels of privacy and seclusion. The driveway winds to a parking and turning area in front of the house. From here wide expanses of lawn with clipped topiary and box hedging give a structure and formality to the garden. Rose beds and a pond add further interest.
Wide pathways snake through the grounds, providing lovely walks and leading to places for rest and relaxation. Immediately to the rear of the inner courtyard is the swimming pool enclosed within a walled garden. This in turn leads to a second, much bigger, walled garden bounded by a serpentine flint wall.
Ripple is an attractive village and offers a range of day-to-day amenities. Nearby Kingsdown is a quiet seaside village which offers a selection of local amenities.
Deal - a former winner of the Daily Telegraphs High Street of the Year award - provides a wide array of shopping, leisure and educational facilities, and the neighbouring towns of Sandwich, Dover and Canterbury are easily accessed via the A2 and A258 and together provide a comprehensive range of services.
Stations at Deal and Walmer provide connections to Ramsgate, Sandwich, Dover and London. The High Speed link runs from Walmer to London St Pancras in around 85 minutes and from Dover Priory in just over an hour. Access to the Continent is excellent via the Port of Dover, the Channel Tunnel at Folkestone and Eurostar services from Ashford International.
From Canterbury: Leave the town centre on the A2 and continue for 12.7 miles. At the Duke of Yorks Roundabout take the first exit onto Deal Road (A258). Follow this road for 3.4 miles. In Ringwould village, turn left by the Five Bells pub onto Front Street. Continue through the village then take Sutton Lane to Ripple Court which will be found on the left hand side about 400m after the railway bridge.Read all
- Reception hall
- 3 Reception rooms and office
- Kitchen and breakfast room
- Extensive cellarage
- 7 bedrooms (3 en suite), day room and 2 further bathrooms
- First floor flat comprising: Reception room, kitchen, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms
- The Old Farm House comprising: 2 reception rooms, kitchen, 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms
- Kentish barn
- Extensive garaging and outbuildings
- Swimming pool
- Gardens and grounds
You may also like
St Clare Road, Walmer, Deal, Kent
Wellington Parade, Walmer, Deal, Kent