Since being formed 130 years ago in 1885 by Mr Strutt and Mr Parker, we have undergone a number of transformations.
- 1885 - Strutt & Parker founded
Two friends, Edward Gerald Strutt and Charles Alfred Parker become business partners and form Strutt & Parker with their first office in Finsbury Circus, London.
- 1888 - Total office salaries amounted to £300.
- 1896 - Strutt & Parker managed 3,000 acres of land (today it's 1.5m acres).
- 1914/18 - Edward Strutt advises the Board of Agriculture on national agricultural policy during the First World War.
- 1934 - Strutt & Parker opens second office
Despite the Stock Market crash, Strutt & Parker opens its second office in Lewes and places Major Carlisle Sayer as the partner in charge.
- 1935 - Strutt & Parker celebrates its Golden Jubilee with a dinner at the Holborn Restaurant, London. The firm is now well established and employs some 50 staff. Its London head office is now in Russell Square.
- 1939 - A Hurricane parked on Essex farmland
During the Second World War land agency work involved a crash course in requisitioning large areas of land for military occupation, rationing of animal feeding stuffs, the slaughter of woodlands and the control of the War Agricultural Committees. The management of estates was kept going by a handful of devoted people who worked 12-hour days seven days a week.
- 1948 - Turnover is £40,000
- 1955 - Merger with Lofts & Warner, a rural estate agency. For a time the firm is known as Strutt & Parker Lofts & Warner.
- 1962/1979 - Under Mark Strutt's leadership, the firm's activities become more diverse, reflecting changes in the world of property and business.
- 1967 - Strutt & Parker's commercial division is formed.
- 1968 - Head Office moves to 13 Hill Street, London.
- 1977 - First farm sold where price exceeded £1,000 per acre.
- 1981 - Heveningham Hall in Suffolk sells for £726,000.
- 1982 - Last member of the Strutt family dies.
- 1983 - A programme of nationwide expansion is completed, with offices now in Canterbury, Chelmsford, Cheltenham, Chester, Exeter, Edinburgh, Grantham, Harrogate, Ipswich, Norwich and Salisbury.
- 2007 - Strutt & Parker merges with Lane Fox and the firm doubles in size to 50 offices. The merger strengthens Strutt & Parker's residential agency offering.
- 2011 - Strutt & Parker has 800 staff and over 45 offices
Strutt & Parker now has 800 staff working in over 45 offices around the UK. The property expert provides a wide range of services: residential sales and lettings, commercial agency and investment, land management, farming, development, sporting, building surveying, planning and a whole host of other professional services.
- 2012 - Exclusive UK affiliate of Christie's International Real Estate
Strutt & Parker has become the exclusive UK affiliate of Christie's International Real Estate, joining the world's leading network of luxury residential real estate specialists across 42 countries. This affiliation significantly enhances Strutt & Parker's international profile, enabling us to provide UK clients with unparalleled exposure to international buyers throughout the world.
- 2013 - Strutt & Parker's residential estate agency open two new offices in rival cities Cambridge and Oxford.
- 2014 - Strutt & Parker partner with Great Ormond Street Hospital Charity in order to raise £200,000 to support the charity’s Raising the Roof appeal, helping to fund the expansion of The JN and Phyllis Somers Neurosciences Centre. A charity cookery book was created by our company featuring 52 celebrity recipes by high profile actors, singers, chefs, politicians and sports people in aid of the charity.
- 2015 - Strutt & Parker financial results for the year ended 30 April 2015 show a record level of turnover. The results are the best that the firm has ever reported, with revenues rising overall by 9%. The boost in performance was led by the Commercial group, where revenues increased 26% as a result of having completed a number of high-profile property transactions.
- 2015 - Strutt & Parker's residential estate agency teams grow to 43 following acquisiton of Buckinghamshire-based Roberts Newby as well as Surrey and Berkshire-based residential estate agency Edwards & Elliott. These acquisitions are a key part of our continued plan for growth, particularly in the Home Counties.
- 2016 - The acquisition of John Clegg & Co, a name synonymous with forestry in the UK, enabled the firm to become market leaders in forestry alongside our existing dominance in land management, farms and estates.
- 2017 - The average number of staff for year 874, and turnover was some £104m.
- 2017 - Strutt & Parker and BNP Paribas Real Estate (BNP PRE) merge to offer a broader set of services to clients throughout the real estate lifecycle
Strutt & Parker’s residential, rural, development and planning teams will continue to operate under the Strutt & Parker brand, whilst the commercial arm of the business will operate under the BNP Paribas Real Estate brand.