Senior Director, Estate AgencyCanterbury Estate Agents
THE DEANERY The Deanery is an exceptional and intriguing home, Grade II* listed on account of its important history and interesting architecture. It has strong ecclesiastical connections, and was for many years the country residence of the Deans of Canterbury Cathedral. The Georgian House seen today stems from a major restoration that took place in about 1738 and incorporates many features from the much earlier house on the site, including walls of the Great Hall built in 1303, and the crownposts from the roof of the solar built in 1394.
The house is approached over a gravel drive way which wraps around the converted brick barn and arrives at the main entrance which is framed by the elegant eighteenth century six pillared porch.
The former Great Hall is a magnificent reception hall and entertaining space, and has a striking bifurcating staircase and period fireplace. To one side are three well-proportioned reception rooms, with oak flooring throughout, and shutters to the windows. The farmhouse kitchen/breakfast room is well fitted, with modern equipment. Beyond are a scullery, utility room and boot room and dog room which lead to the kitchen garden.
A second staircase is situated on the North side of the house, and both link to the galleried landing overlooking the great hall. To the East of the house, are three double bedrooms all with sash windows, and a family bathroom. The dual aspect principal suite, within the West wing, is arranged across four rooms, (one of which doubles as a fifth bedroom) currently arranged with a steam shower room, dressing room, principal bathroom and library, with doors to a west facing balcony.
DEANERY COTTAGE Deanery Cottage, formerly a brick barn, has been recently renovated to a high standard. Initially arranged as two cottages, these have been combined, and are currently used together but could be re-divided.
The ground floor has a kitchen/utility/boot room, with cloakroom, to one end, and a larger kitchen/ dining room at the other, with two garages between them. Each has a staircase to the first floor and a large vaulted open plan reception room with the original beams. The bedrooms are also on this level, with an en-suite double bedroom with exposed beams on one end, and two further double bedrooms with a Jack and Jill en-suite bathroom on the other.
This property has 3 acres of land.
To the front of the house, lawns interspersed with mature specimen trees are divided by the gravel driveway, which continues past the house and a back drive returns to Parish Road. The more formal gardens lie to the rear of the house and are enclosed by traditional brick walls and high fencing.
Beyond the main formal lawn is the moat (restored and lined about 12 years, with filtering and dams to control the water level) beyond which two well planted parre terres with a central statue provide a focal point for the main views from the house and beyond an avenue of trees leads to the ancient orchard found at the foot of the garden. A large orangery is built against the wall and contains a mature vine.
There are two external store rooms, used to store garden tools.
The property is situated on the rural outskirts of the popular residential village of Chartham in an extremely accessible location. The village has a good selection of amenities including local shops, primary school, doctors surgery, public house and railway station with frequent services to London and Ashford International. The M2/A2 is accessed to the north.
Canterbury, Ashford and Faversham all offer a range of widely regarded shops, leisure and recreational facilities, and the immediate area offers a good selection of schooling in both state and private sectors.
From A2 (Junction 7): Take the exit towards Canterbury/Dover/Channel Tunnel. At Brenley Corner, take the 4th exit onto Boughton Bypass/ A2. Continue to follow A2 for 4.9 miles then take the exit towards Canterbury/Harbledown/ A28. After 0.5 miles take Faulkners Lane, Bigbury Road and Hatch Lane to Parish Road in Chartham. Continue for 0.2 miles, you will then see a bridge on your right. Take the turn under the bridge, continue past the farm and you will arrive at a wooden gate, the house will be straight ahead.
What3Words: ///hoping.blank.cracklesRead all