A 3 bedroom house and a remarkable attached chapel, forming part of the Grade II* Listed Wynards.
9 Wynards & Wynards Chapel form part of a quiet courtyard of nine properties which were originally built as alms houses and are Grade II* Listed. Set behind oak doors in the heart of Exeter city, the almshouses were founded in 1436 by William Wynard who was the Recorder (lawyer) of Exeter between 1404-1442. He also founded the attached Wynards Chapel of the Holy Trinity and Maison Dieu in order to house a priest and twelve infirm or poor men. After being badly damaged in the Civil War, Wynards was later rebuilt in the 17th Century. Constructed mainly of Heavitree stone, the buildings are set around a spacious cobbled courtyard with a timber period well house in the centre.
Over the past two years, the current owner has made further painstaking, extensive restorations to Wynards Chapel. To name just a few, the stained glass and lead work to the front facing windows was removed and reinstated by Heritage Stained Glass; a master stone mason restored much of the loose carved stone tracery on the main chancel arch; much of the woodwork was restored; and the chapel was fitted with lighting and rewired.
Wynards Chapel is either accessed from the courtyard or from the pavement on Magdalen Street. This truly unique space offers a wealth of possibilities from use as an art gallery or exhibition space to an office, studio or simply storage. Within the chapel are countless notable architectural features including intricate stained glass windows produced by J. Hardman and church bells made by George Meers in 1856, two years before he cast the bells for Big Ben in 1858. The painted murals were produced by Alfred Beer, whilst much of the stonework is constructed from the same Beer stone as Exeter Cathedral. Accessed from the cellar is a burial chamber for the 15th and 17th century families who owned the chapel.
9 Wynards is a three bedroom house, connected to Wynards Chapel by a doorway on the first floor, to the minstrels gallery. The house is accessed from the courtyard and has a hallway with a spacious sitting room/dining room and fitted kitchen plus a WC on the ground floor. A cellar with two rooms is accessed via a trapdoor in the floor from the sitting room/dining room. Upstairs there are three double bedrooms, one en suite, and a shower room. A further flight of stairs leads from the upper landing to the minstrels gallery overlooking the chapel and this area is ideal for a home office, as further accommodation or as an entertaining space.
The chapel does not have residential permissions and is for commercial use only.
Wynards surrounds a communal cobbled courtyard with a holm oak at the centre. To the rear of Wynards is a large level communal lawned garden with fruit trees. There is also a bike store. There is one parking space in a private car park adjacent to the property which is accessed via Pavilion Place.
The properties are situated in the centre of Exeter, adjacent to Southernhay, in the well regarded area of St. Leonards. Exeter is the most thriving city in the South West and offers a wide choice of cultural activities with the theatre, the museum, arts centre and a wealth of good restaurants and shopping including John Lewis and Waitrose. A number of well regarded schools can be found in the area, including St. Leonards Primary (OFSTED rated outstanding), Exeter School and The Maynard. Exeter University and the Peninsula Medical School nearby are recognised as some of the best universities in the country.
Turn left from Southernhay East onto Western Way and the doorway to Wynards is immediately opposite the Magdalen Chapter Hotel entrance. Proceed through this doorway and 9 Wynards is the first entrance on the right.Read all
- Situated in the heart of Exeter
- Incredible chapel with potential for variety of uses
- Three bedroom house
- Remarkable GII* Listed features
You may also like
City Bank, Cathedral Yard, Exeter, Devon
St. Leonards Road, Exeter, Devon